Last week I bought sweet potatoes on a random grocery run and I somewhat forgot about them. I’m on an intermittent fasting diet and I get to eat once a day, and I only think of what is written on my meal plan. I was arranging the grocery basket when I noticed some weak and scarred potatoes at the bottom.
Two of them were spoilt halfway already and I really felt bad because I hate throwing food out. But I knew I had to make something out of them. And I wasn’t going to just boil them Kenyan style. I decided to make a sweet potato hash. I’ve had hash before and I love it.
Hash is a dish consisting of diced or chopped potatoes, some meat and spices mixed together and cooked by themselves or with other ingredients.
In mine I added:
2 Beef Sausages, chopped
1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
1 Red Onion, chopped
A piece of Garlic, chopped
Light Soy Sauce, a dash
1/2 teaspoon Garam Masala
1 teaspoon Curry Powder
1/2 tablespoon Tomato paste
And I paired it with simple fried eggs.
1. In a saucepan, heat vegetable oil. Add the chopped sausages to sear for about 45 seconds.
2. Add sweet potatoes and stir. Stir fry for about 2-3 minutes. This is to just ensure the pieces at the bottom don’t overcook while the ones at the top remain raw.
3. Add onions, pepper & garlic after 3 minutes. Mix everything well.
4. Add tomato paste and stir to get everything on the pan nicely covered.
5. Soon afterwards add the spices and the salt. Stir to ensure everything is well distributed.
6. Since there is no liquid in the pan, you wanna keep stirring the potatoes lightly to keep them from sticking at the bottom of the pan and burning. Also stir lightly to avoid mashing the potatoes.
7. Add a little water, just about 1/4 cup, and let the potatoes cook uncovered.
8. Once the liquid dries up, the sweet potatoes will be pretty much cooked.
9. Serve hot with an egg; fried or boiled.
I hope you get to try this dish because you’ll absolutely love it; especially for those brunches.